Friday, December 23, 2011

SEWING VEST TUTE

This is (I hope) going to be a pictorial tutorial.(geeze, I'm such a poet) on how to make a sewing vest as posted on the quilting board around Christmas time.

1. Choose an old shirt pattern.  Size does not matter, as your are only going to use this as a guideline.

Lay your shirt pattern with shoulder seams together and draw a line as shown in red in picture.  I made the front pieces about 7 inches wide and cut it off right at the waistline.

If you want to save the original pattern, trace the new pattern on tissue paper.

You will need a little over half a yard of each fabric. 

I sandwiched my fabric with lightweight batting and practiced my FMQ by trying to outline the design on the printed fabric.

Cut your vest out according to your pattern and sew a 1/4 inch seam at the back neck.

I pressed the seam open then sewed a strip of fabic over it to creat a finished seam.

Decide how many and what size pockets you want and cut them out from left over quilted fabric.  I bound the edges of my pockets just like a little quilt.

Apply your pockets then bind the outer edge of your vest.  I added a couple of ties to help keep it in place.  The pincushion is just a stuffed yo-yo stitched to a gathered ruffle.  I also added a loop to hang glasses on and a loop to hang it on a hook when I'm finished for the day!

This is what it looks like when laid out flat on design wall.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this tute. I plan to make one of these ASAP. I think they would be great for retreats as well. But I think I will try my plan of using a jacket facing pattern piece. This is such a great idea. Wish I had thought of it. Found this on the quilting board. Thought I'd comment here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great sister. What an awesome idea. I keep 4 pairs of scissors and 4 pin cushions laying all over my sewing room cause they are never where I need them. This is going to be my winter project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holiday !!!

    Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

    Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

    ReplyDelete