Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Green HIlls of Ireland

My sisters and I got together one week in October to see if we could make landscape quilts. That is we all got together, but only Charlotte and I worked on landscapes. Janie had did some really cute quilted Hum-bug bags and Margi had a big craft show coming up and needed to continue to work on that. Below is the quilt that I made. It is vaguely based on a photo of County Galway in Ireland. I have never been to Ireland but have always wanted to go there. This may be the closest I will ever get....
I used almost all hand dyed fabrics that I dyed using acrylic colors in my microwave oven. I wet the fabric, squirted paint on it, then squished it around with my hands (wearing rubber gloves, of course), wrapped rubber bands around it, squirted some more watered down paint on it, stuck it in the microwave to get really hot, then set it outside to dry. The hardest part was waiting for it to dry.....
These are my brightest colors....
My mediums....


and a stack of all the hand dyed fabrics. I did not use all of them, obviously...so.... I see another landscape quilt in my future.....



This is the first night at Charlottes house... Larry took the photo of all of us. Janie and I were exhausted from the drive (9 hours) but were so glad to be there we perked right up and sat there talking until late...




The girls are ready to go shopping....We hit Jo Ann fabrics first thing in the morning!


Looks like we are checking our wallets....hmmmm maybe not...

Shop, shop, shop....sew many fabrics...sew little time....


What were they thinking when they designed this one?????? ewe....

Granny found a good one! Go Granny!

shop, shop, shop.....

Lord.... Make me a bird... but not on my fabric....
And we end our shopping with a little (fuzzy) holiday inspriation.... sorry I made you fuzzy Margie... I had a wrong setting on my camera....my bad...

And last but not least....Voila! Granny Bell! Aint she cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment